A childhood favourite, rice pudding is wonderful paired with pretty much any fruit. Here the flavours of the tropics are front and centre, swimming in a wonderfully rich caramel sauce.
- 50 gm medium-grain rice
- 8 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 300 gm caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 500 ml (2 cups) each milk and pouring cream
- 440 gm (2 cups) caster sugar
- 5 ripe bananas, peeled and thickly sliced diagonally
- 7 limes, 4 segmented and juice of 3
- 200 gm passionfruit pulp (from about 10 fruit)
- 1Preheat oven to 160C. Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes, then drain and set aside. Whisk eggs, yolks, sugar and vanilla in a bowl to combine, then mix in milk and cream. Add rice and pour into a 3-litre oven dish and bake until custard sets (55 minutes to 1 hour).
- 2Scatter sugar in a wide heavy-based saucepan and place over medium heat, swirling pan if necessary, until sugar melts and turns a golden caramel (6-8 minutes). Remove from heat, add bananas and lime juice, swirl pan to coat, then add passionfruit and lime segments, swirl to coat again and serve spooned over warm rice pudding.