- 4 small chicken thighs, skin on, bone in (about 180gm each)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 dried chorizo, thickly sliced diagonally
- 160 gm (1 cup) calasparra rice (see note)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 250 gm (about 1 punnet) cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup oregano, plus extra to serve
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 80 gm roman green beans, trimmed and cut roughly into 6cm lengths
- 1Dust chicken in seasoned flour, shaking off excess and set aside. Heat olive oil in a 24cm-diameter paella pan over medium-high heat, add chicken, skin-side down, and cook until golden (3-4 minutes), transfer to a plate. Add chorizo, sauté until golden (2-3 minutes), transfer to a plate and set aside. Add rice to pan, stirring to coat well, then stir occasionally until browned (2-3 minutes). Add onion, capsicum and garlic and stir frequently until onion is very soft (6-7 minutes). Add spices, stir until fragrant (1 minute), then stir in tomato, oregano, stock and reserved chorizo. Place chicken on top of rice, skin-side up, and bring to the simmer, then cover with foil, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Add beans, cover again and cook until rice is just cooked through (6-8 minutes). Stand for 5 minutes, season to taste, scatter with extra oregano and serve hot.
Calasparra is a short-grain Spanish rice available from select delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: Aromatic white verdejo.
Drink suggestion by Max Allen