Topped with shimmering gold leaf, this rich chocolate mousse cake takes dessert to a whole new level.
- 290 gm Lindt Dessert 70% Cocoa chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 250 gm butter, diced
- 8 eggs, sparated
- 4 egg yolks
- 220 gm caster sugar
- 80 gm ground almonds
- 100 gm crème fraîche, at room temperature, plus extra to serve
- gold leaf (optional), to serve
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 50 ml whisky
- 250 gm Lindt Dessert 70% Cocoa chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp corn syrup or liquid glucose
- 1Preheat oven to 140C and butter and line a 25cm springform tin with baking paper. Combine chocolate and butter in a bowl, place over a saucepan of simmering water and stir occasionally until smooth. Meanwhile, whisk yolks and 150gm sugar in an electric mixer until thick and pale (3-5 minutes), then fold into chocolate mixture and set aside.
- 2Whisk egg whites and a pinch of salt in the clean bowl of an electric mixer until frothy (2-3 minutes), gradually add remaining sugar and whisk until soft peaks form. Fold almond meal into chocolate mixture, then fold in crème fraiche. Finally, fold in half the meringue mixture to lighten and fold in remaining.
- 3Transfer to prepared cake tin, smooth top and bake until edges are just set and centre is fudgy (1¼ - 1½ hours). Set aside to cool completely in tin.
- 4For chocolate ganache, bring cream and corn syrup to the simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat, pour over chocolate in a bowl, stand for 2-3 minutes, then whisk until smooth and combined, then whisk in whisky. Refrigerate half the ganache until spreadable, then spread over top of cake. Pour remaining ganache over cake, allowing it to drizzle down the sides. Decorate with gold leaf and serve.
This recipe is brought to you by Lindt.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am