Love-me-tender beef fillet is the perfect cut for quick cooking. Here we've seared it and kept it rare. It benefits from a good rest, so it's a great one to do ahead of time. For the best results, serve it at room temperature rather than cold from the fridge. A tangy buttermilk dressing and crunchy sprouts are all the adornment needed.
- 50 ml olive oil
- 2 pieces of mid-cut beef tenderloin (600gm each), at room temperature
- To serve: mustard cress and crunchy sprouts
- 150 ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Sherry vinegar
- Finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Season beef all over, place in pan and brown all over (3-4 minutes). Transfer to oven and roast until cooked to your liking (6-8 minutes for medium-rare), then set aside at room temperature to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- 2For buttermilk dressing, shake ingredients in a jar just before serving and season to taste.
- 3To serve, thinly slice the beef across the grain and arrange on a platter, drizzle with buttermilk dressing to taste, scatter with cress and sprouts and season to taste.
Drink Suggestion: Bright young claret. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Hotel AwardsAustralia's Hotel of the Year for 2018 is revealedYesterday 10:00pm