A tasty dip is great for entertaining. The flatbread dough can be made ahead and cooked as you need it, or buy a good flatbread to make things even easier.
- 1 small cauliflower (about 900gm), trimmed and cut into small florets
- 100 ml olive oil
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon, juice of 2
- 800 gm canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, plus extra to serve
- ½ tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander
- 60 gm hulled tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 150 gm each wholemeal flour and plain flour (1 cup)
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200 gm thick plain yoghurt
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Combine cauliflower in an oven dish with 60ml olive oil and lemon rind, season to taste, stir to coat, and roast until dark golden brown and tender (30-35 minutes). Cool.
- 2Meanwhile, toss half the chickpeas with spices and remaining olive oil, season to taste and spread on an oven dish lined with baking paper. Roast, shaking pan occasionally, until crisp and golden brown (20-25 minutes). Set aside.
- 3For yoghurt flatbread, combine dry ingredients and 2 tsp salt in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Whisk yoghurt, oil and 100ml hot water in a bowl to combine, add to well and mix until a dough starts to form. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic (4-5 minutes), then rub all over with oil, place in a clean bowl, cover with plastic wrap and stand at room temperature until doubled in size (40-45 minutes), then knock back. Dough can be refrigerated at this stage for 5 days. To cook, pinch off golfball-sized pieces of dough and roll out to 3mm-thick rounds on a lightly floured surface. Heat a large frying pan over high heat until very hot and cook bread one at a time until lightly scorched (1-2 minutes), then turn and cook other side (1 minute). Drizzle with extra oil and season to taste. Serve at room temperature or warmed in a moderate oven for 2-3 minutes.
- 4Process cauliflower (reserve a little for garnish), remaining chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini and garlic in a food processor until smooth, add extra-virgin olive oil, season to taste and process to combine. Top with reserved roast cauliflower, roast chickpeas, parsley and a little extra paprika and serve with yoghurt flatbread.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm