- 1 free-range, organic chicken, brought to room temperature
- 100 gm butter, softened
- 12 sage leaves
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 2 Desiree potatoes, thickly sliced
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling (¼ cup)
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 1 half-size sourdough baguette, split lengthways, then halved crossways
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled cloves separated
- 5 globe artichokes
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- To serve: purslane leaves
- 1 lemon, segmented (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 190C. Starting from the neck end of the chicken, gently work your fingers between the skin and breast, being careful not to split the skin. Spread butter over the breast under the skin, then arrange sage leaves and thyme on top of the butter and press skin down to seal. Truss legs together with kitchen twine.
- 2Toss potato slices in a little olive oil and scatter in a small roasting pan, drizzle chicken stock over, then top with baguette pieces crust-side up and scatter garlic around. Place chicken on top of bread and roast until the skin begins to turn golden (30 minutes), then reduce oven to 160C and roast until chicken is golden and juices run clear when thigh is pierced with a skewer, and bread is golden and crusty (50 minutes). Set aside to rest, keeping warm (15-20 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Remove outer green leaves of the artichokes and peel the stalks, then place immediately into boiling water so they don’t discolour (you can also rub with lemon if the peeling process is a little slow). Reduce heat to medium, weigh down artichokes with a plate and simmer until tender (10-15 minutes). Drain, cool, then cut each in half, remove hairy choke with a teaspoon, and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and 1 tsp lemon juice, set aside.
- 4Whisk remaining lemon juice with extra-virgin olive oil and Dijon mustard, and season to taste.
- 5Carve chicken and arrange on a platter. Coarsely chop bread and scatter over along with potatoes, garlic, artichokes, purslane and lemon segments, then drizzle with mustard vinaigrette and serve warm.