This dish conjures up all that's good about summer picnics. You could divide the ingredients between separate containers to create individual serves, then simply pass around the dressing. Start this recipe a day ahead to soak the almonds.
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 butterflied chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 180 gm sugarsnap peas
- 180 gm long or flat beans, cut into 4cm lengths
- 160 gm (1 cup) podded peas or 120gm (1cup) frozen peas
- 125 gm snow peas, trimmed
- 2 baby cos lettuce
- Sunflower seeds, to serve
- Coarsely chopped dill, to serve
- 60 gm blanched almonds, softened in cold water (overnight)
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Dry-roast fennel and coriander seeds until fragrant (10-20 seconds; see cook's notes p152), then finely grind with a mortar and pestle. Add paprika and a large pinch of salt, stir to combine, then rub spice mixture all over chicken.
- 2Heat a large ovenproof frying pan over high heat. Add oil and sear chicken on both sides until golden-brown (1-2 minutes each side). Transfer to oven and roast until just cooked through (20 minutes). Remove from oven and cool, then cover and refrigerate until required.
- 3Meanwhile, for dressing, blend almonds and 100ml water in a small blender until smooth, adding extra water if necessary, then add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Season to taste and squeeze over lemon juice to taste. Transfer to a jar, seal and refrigerate until required.
- 4Blanch peas and beans until bright green (1-2 minutes). Drain and refresh in iced water, then drain again and pat dry.
- 5Cut chicken into pieces, then place in a container with peas, beans, lettuce, seeds and dill. Toss through dressing and serve.