- 1 duck (about 2.2kg)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 bunch sage
- 600 gm desiree potatoes, peeled and halved
- 50 gm butter
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp caraway seeds
- ¼ savoy cabbage, cored and thickly sliced
- 125 ml apple juice (½ cup)
Cider apple sauce
- 500 ml dry apple cider (see note) (2 cups)
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 30 gm cold butter, cubed
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Rinse duck inside and out with cold running water and pat dry with absorbent paper. Place on a wire rack placed in a roasting pan. Using a skewer prick duck breast all over, piercing skin. Season skin and cavity with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then place onion and sage into cavity.
- 2Roast duck for 30 minutes, add potatoes, turning to coat in rendered duck fat, then continue to cook for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 150C and cook for another 1½ hours or until golden and skin is crisp.
- 3For sautéed cabbage, heat butter in a large frying pan until foamy, add onion and caraway seeds and cook over low-medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft. Add cabbage, increase heat to medium-high and sauté for 5 minutes or until wilted, add apple juice and cook for 2-3 minutes or until cabbage is tender, season to taste.
- 4For cider apple sauce, reduce apple cider in a saucepan over high heat for 8 minutes or until reduced to about ¼ cup, add vinegar and sugar and simmer for 2 minutes. Whisk in cold butter a piece at a time to thicken and season to taste.
- 5Carve duck and serve with potatoes and cabbage, drizzled with cider apple sauce.
Note Use alcoholic dry apple cider, available from most liquor stores.
Drink Suggestion: Farmhouse cider. Drink suggestion by Max Allen