- 1 lamb leg, bone-in (about 2.75kg)
- 16 anchovy fillets
- 1 tbsp salted baby capers, rinsed, drained
- ¼ cup rosemary sprigs (firmly packed)
- 250 ml white wine
- 250 ml chicken stock (1 cup)
- 6 sebago potatoes, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
- 16 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ slice soft white sourdough bread (about 25gm)
- 60 ml white wine vinegar (¼ cup)
- 8 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 4 cornichons, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp capers in vinegar, rinsed, drained
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1½ cups flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (firmly packed)
- 2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 160 ml mild-flavoured extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 140C. Pierce lamb in 16 places with a small sharp knife and press some anchovy, some capers and some rosemary sprigs into each cut. Place in a roasting pan, pour over wine and stock and roast until meat is tender (3½-4 hours), topping up with extra stock if pan begins to dry out.
- 2Meanwhile, place potatoes and garlic in a roasting pan, drizzle with oil, season to taste and roast, turning occasionally, until crisp and golden (1¼-1½ hours).
- 3Meanwhile, for salsa verde, soak bread in vinegar until soft (1-2 minutes). Process anchovies, cornichons, capers, garlic and bread in a food processor to a coarse paste, add remaining ingredients, pulse to combine, season to taste and serve with lamb and potatoes, drizzled with pan juices.
Drink Suggestion: Top-quality sangiovese or Chianti. Drink suggestion by Max Allen