- 800 gm piece boneless pork belly, skin thinly scored
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- shaved Parmesan, to serve
Date & witlof salad
- 6 pitted dates, thinly sliced
- 2 witlof, leaves separated
- 1½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ white onion, thinly sliced
- 6 anchovy fillets, torn
- 35 gm (¼ cup) roasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1Place pork skin-side up on a tray lined with baking paper and refrigerate, uncovered, for skin to dry out (overnight).
- 2Preheat oven to 220°C. Coarsely grind fennel seeds with a mortar and pestle, then transfer to a bowl with 2 tsp salt flakes. Place pork skin-side up on a wire rack over the sink, then pour boiling water over the skin. Pat dry, drizzle with oil and rub in fennel mixture. Place in a roasting pan lined with baking paper, roast until crackling starts to form (30 minutes), then reduce heat to 160°C and roast until skin is deep golden and juices run clear when pork is pierced with a skewer (1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes). Remove pork from pan and rest for 15 minutes.
- 3For date and witlof salad, toss ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 4Remove pork crackling and break into small pieces. Remove excess fat from pork, then cut into thin slices. Top with salad, crackling and parmesan to serve.
Drink suggestion: Rich ripe pinot gris. Drink suggestion by Max Allen.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm