- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, quartered
- 250 gm mixed small tomatoes, such as cherry or grape
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 garlic head, cloves separated
- 90 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 12 zucchini flowers, trimmed
- 1 tbsp aged red wine vinegar, or to taste
- 2 tbsp each thyme and coarsely torn oregano, plus extra to serve
Tomato rice stuffing
- ¼ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 30 ml olive oil
- ½ vine-ripened tomato, finely chopped
- 50 gm long-grain rice (¼ cup)
- 2 tbsp tomato passata
- 2 tbsp each finely chopped flat-leaf parsley and oregano
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1For tomato rice stuffing, sauté onion, garlic and oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until tender (1 minute). Add tomato and cook until just tender (1-2 minutes). Add rice, stir to coat in oil, add passata and 100ml boiling water, stir to combine, increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low-medium, cover with a tightly fitting lid and cook until rice is al dente (10-12 minutes). Season to taste, stir through herbs and lemon rind, set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C. Scatter tomato, onion and garlic in a roasting pan, drizzle with 60ml oil, season to taste and roast until tomato skins start to split (8-10 minutes).
- 3Spoon tomato rice stuffing into zucchini flowers, gently twist tops of petals to enclose, and scatter flowers over tomato mixture. Drizzle with lemon juice, vinegar and remaining oil, scatter with herbs and roast until zucchini flowers are tender (12-15 minutes). Serve hot, scattered with extra herbs and drizzled with extra oil.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am