- 600 gm mixed cherry tomatoes, large ones halved
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp finely chopped thyme, plus 3 extra sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 70 ml olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded, finely chopped
- 4 basil sprigs, plus extra leaves to serve
- 3 oregano sprigs
- 80 gm small soup pasta, such as stelline or tubetti
- 1 tbsp aged red wine vinegar
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Spread cherry tomatoes on an oven tray in a single layer. Combine vinegar, chopped thyme, one-third of garlic, lemon rind and 30ml oil in a small bowl, season to taste then drizzle over tomatoes. Roast until very tender and lightly browned (30-35 minutes). Set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, capsicum and remaining garlic and stir occasionally until very tender and starting to caramelise (8-10 minutes). Add chopped tomato and stir occasionally until pulpy (4-5 minutes). Add herb sprigs and 1.5 litres water, season to taste, bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer until well flavoured (15-20 minutes). Increase heat to medium-high, bring to the boil, then, stirring continuously, add pasta and return to the boil. Add roast tomatoes and pan juices and stir occasionally until pasta is al dente (4-5 minutes). Remove herb sprigs, add vinegar, adjust seasoning and serve hot or warm, scattered with extra basil.
This recipe is from the March 2013 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Meaty red barbera. Drink suggestion by Max Allen