If you can't find golden beetroot, which add a splash of colour to this dish, use regular baby beetroot.
- 8 each baby and baby golden beetroot, tops trimmed
- 80 gm hazelnuts
- 20 gm butter
- 100 gm pancetta, cut into lardons
- 1 radicchio, leaves torn
- 1 frisée lettuce, leaves torn
- 100 gm Roquefort Papillon (see note)
Apple cider vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp each hazelnut and olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Wrap each beetroot in foil and roast until tender (1-1½ hours). Cool slightly, peel, halve larger beetroot lengthways, transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- 2Place hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast until golden (5-10 minutes). Cool, then rub with a tea towel to remove skins, coarsely chop and set aside.
- 3For apple cider vinaigrette, whisk ingredients to combine, season to taste and set aside.
- 4Heat butter in a frying pan over high heat, add pancetta and cook until golden (3-5 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon, add to beetroot with radicchio and frisée lettuce, scatter with roast hazelnuts and drizzle with apple cider vinaigrette. Toss to combine and serve with Roquefort Papillon to taste.
Note Roquefort Papillon is an unpasteurised blue cheese from France. You can substitute another sharp-flavoured blue cheese.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am