Roasting beetroot concentrates the flavour and brings out the sweetness. Throw some golden beets into the mix for extra autumnal effect in this robust salad.
- 16 assorted baby beetroot, scrubbed, trimmed, larger beets halved
- 8 small Spanish onions, unpeeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp thyme
- 75 gm (¾ cup) walnuts
- 120 gm red quinoa
- 140 gm (½ cup) natural yoghurt
- 1/3 cup torn mint leaves, to serve
- 2 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 2 tsp unhulled tahini
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) mild extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Combine beetroot and onions in a roasting pan with oil and thyme. Season to taste, then roast until beetroot is tender and onions are very tender (45-55 minutes). Set aside to cool briefly, then peel beetroot and onions, and quarter onions.
- 2Spread walnuts on an oven tray and roast until golden and fragrant (3-5 minutes). Set aside to cool briefly, then break into pieces.
- 3Meanwhile, cook quinoa in a saucepan of unsalted boiling water until tender (10-15 minutes). Drain and spread on a tray to dry and cool (5 minutes).
- 4For tahini dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl to combine, and season to taste.
- 5Arrange beetroot and onion on a platter, scatter with quinoa and drizzle with dressing. Top with walnuts, dollops of yoghurt and mint, season to taste and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Young cool-climate pinot noir. Drink suggestion by Max Allen