The pancetta crumbs add wonderful texture to this salad. Enjoy it with a glass of chilled dry riesling.
- 150 gm Ligurian olives
- 100 gm wild olives
- 100 gm wild rocket
- 1 bunch rocket, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice only, or to taste
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste
- 50 gm Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved
Pancetta and herb crumbs
- 100 gm coarse crustless sourdough breadcrumbs
- 50 gm round mild pancetta, finely diced
- 1½ tsp (loosely packed) thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind only
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- For shallow-frying: olive oil
- 1For pancetta and herb crumbs, combine all ingredients (except oil) in a bowl, season to taste. Heat oil (1cm deep) in a frying pan over medium heat, add crumb mixture and stir occasionally until golden and crisp (3-5 minutes). Strain through a fine metal sieve and set crumbs aside on absorbent paper.
- 2Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients (except Parmigiano-Reggiano) in a bowl, toss gently to combine. Transfer to a serving platter and scatter with pancetta and herb crumbs and shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano.