This dessert, almost an inside-out pavlova, is adapted from a recipe in Christine Manfield's book Desserts.
- 250 gm crème fraîche
- 250 gm mascarpone
- 80 ml thickened cream (1/3 cup)
- 45 gm caster sugar
- Finely grated rind of ½ lime
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- Pulp of 6 passionfruit, plus extra to serve
- 2 bananas, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- ½ papaya, diced
- 250 gm eggwhite (about 10 eggs)
- 375 gm caster sugar
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- For dusting: icing sugar
- 1For soft meringue, preheat oven to 160C. Whisk eggwhite in an electric mixer until soft peaks form, then gradually add sugar, beating and scraping down sides until sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth and glossy. Quickly stir in vinegar and cornflour, then spread evenly with a palette knife on a 24cm x 32cm oven tray lined with baking paper. Bake until crisp to touch on top (20 minutes). Remove from oven, cool slightly, then invert onto a piece of baking paper dusted with icing sugar and set aside to cool. Scatter with fruit.
- 2Whisk crème fraîche, mascarpone, cream, caster sugar, lime rind and vanilla seeds in an electric mixer until firm peaks form, then spread over fruit and meringue. Roll up from longest side facing you to form a log. Carefully wrap in plastic wrap and twist ends to enclose and refrigerate until firm (2-3 hours). To serve, slice thickly and drizzle with extra passionfruit pulp.
Drink Suggestion: Luscious late-harvest riesling. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsAnthea Loucas Bosha named CEO of Food and Wine VictoriaYesterday 11:16pm