This super-simple salad makes a hero of a single ingredient: Roman beans. And while you’ve got the barbecue fired up to char-grill the beans, why not throw on a T-bone?
- 500 gm Roman beans, trimmed
- For brushing: olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Juice and finely grated rind of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 120 gm ricotta salata, coarsely crumbled
- ¼ cup (loosely packed) oregano
- 1Heat a char-grill pan (or barbecue) over high heat. Brush beans lightly with olive oil and grill in batches, turning once, until just tender and lightly charred (1-2 minutes). Remove from heat, set aside, then, when cool enough to handle, cut into roughly 10cm lengths.
- 2Combine garlic, lemon juice and rind and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside for 5 minutes for garlic to soften. Stir in extra-virgin olive oil, season to taste, add beans and cool to room temperature, or refrigerate until required. Just before serving, scatter salad with ricotta salata and oregano.
This recipe is from the March 2013 issue of .
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am