These vegetables are the perfect accompaniment to the lardo-barded lemon chicken.
- 70 gm goose fat (see note) (¼ cup)
- 700 gm swede (about 1), cut into 3cm pieces
- 500 gm parsnip (about 5), halved lengthways
- 500 gm small waxy potatoes, such as Nicola or kipfler
- 500 gm baby carrots (about 1 bunch), trimmed
- 350 gm baby beetroot (about 1 bunch), trimmed
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 300 gm crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp hot English mustard
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp finely grated horseradish
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 1Preheat oven to 190C. Spoon goose fat into a large roasting pan and heat in oven until melted (1-2 minutes). Add vegetables, season to taste, stir to coat, then roast, turning occasionally, until vegetables are beginning to brown and crisp and are tender when tested with a skewer (1-1½ hours).
- 2Meanwhile, for mustard cream, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 3Serve roast vegetables scattered with parsley and topped with mustard cream.
Note Goose fat is available from select delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute duck fat.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe Melbourne bakery that pipes fresh cannoli to orderYesterday 4:00am