- 250 ml Shaoxing wine
- 10 gm ginger, thinly sliced (2cm piece)
- 1 kg small green tiger prawns, peeled, tails and heads intact
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 150 gm cornflour
- 2 tbsp sea salt flakes, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp each white pepper and Sichuan pepper, finely ground in a mortar and pestle, plus extra to serve
- To serve: lemon wedges
- 1Combine Shaoxing and ginger in a bowl, add prawns and stand to marinate (2-3 minutes). Remove ginger (discard), drain prawns and pat dry with absorbent paper.
- 2Preheat oil in a wok to 190C. Combine cornflour, sea salt and peppers in a bowl. Dust prawns with salt and pepper mixture, shake off excess and deep-fry in batches, stirring occasionally, until light golden and crisp (2-3 minutes; be careful as hot oil will spit). Drain on absorbent paper and serve with lemon and extra salt mixed with white pepper and Sichuan pepper.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm