You will need to begin this recipe 1 day ahead.
Salt cod fritters
- 400 gm salt cod, cut into 10cm pieces and soaked in 3 changes of cold water overnight, drained
- 50 gm chickpea flour (see note) (1/3 cup)
- 50 gm self-raising flour (1/3 cup)
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 225 gm green beans, trimmed and thinly sliced crossways
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, thinly sliced
- For deep frying: vegetable oil
- ¼ cup finely grated fresh coconut
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 golden shallot, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1For coconut sambal, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 2Place cod in a saucepan, cover with water and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and when cool, flake cod from bones and set aside.
- 3Place cod in a bowl, sift over flours, add eggs and stir to combine. Add beans, green onion and chilli, season to taste and stir to combine.
- 4Heat oil in a large deep saucepan, or deep-fryer to 180C, place tablespoonfuls of mixture into oil and cook in batches for 4-5 minutes or until golden. Drain on absorbent paper and serve immediately with coconut sambal.
Note Chickpea flour is available from health food stores and Indian grocery stores, where it is called besan flour.
Drink Suggestion: Portuguese white. Drink suggestion by Max Allen