- 150 gm flour, seasoned to taste
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 8 sardines, butterflied
- 125 ml olive oil (½ cup)
- 200 ml Sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp currants
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 garlic clove, bruised
- 2 tbsp rosemary leaves
- 80 gm day-old crustless sourdough bread, coarsely torn
- 1 cup (loosely packed) watercress, trimmed
- ½ cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, torn
- 2 oranges, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Combine flour and paprika in a bowl, then dust sardines in flour, shaking off excess. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry sardines skin-side down until crisp and golden (2-3 minutes). Turn and fry until cooked through (1-2 minutes). Transfer to a non-reactive container.
- 2Combine vinegar, currants, onion, sugar and 100ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring to a simmer, then pour mixture over sardines and set aside for 15 minutes.
- 3Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add garlic, rosemary and bread and cook until golden all over (2-3 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper (discard garlic).
- 4Combine watercress, parsley and oranges in a bowl, add sardines, 2 tbsp vinegar mixture and olive oil, toss carefully, season to taste and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Chalky young Hunter sémillon. Drink suggestion by Max Allen