- 50 gm duck fat (see note)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150 gm flat mild pancetta, finely diced
- 1 each celery stalk, small carrot and small fennel bulb, finely diced
- 150 ml Muscadet (see note)
- 300 gm small green lentils
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) chicken stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 <a href="http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/hand-cut-pork-sausages-with-muscadet.htm">pork sausages</a>
- 1Heat duck fat in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion and garlic, stir until soft (7-10 minutes). Add pancetta, celery, carrot and fennel, cook until starting to soften (5 minutes), then deglaze with Muscadet. Add lentils, thyme, bay leaves and stock, bring to the simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, skimming occasionally, until lentils are tender (40 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, prick sausages with the tip of a knife to allow air to escape, then cook, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through (3 minutes each side). Set aside to rest in a warm place (5 minutes), then serve with hot braised lentils.
Note Duck fat is available in cans from select delicatessens and French food shops. Muscadet is available from select liquor shops.