Fresh peas are always better for this recipe if they’re in season, but frozen will also work – just halve the amount of stock used.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 white onions, cut into 1cm dice
- 80 gm flat mild pancetta, cut into 1cm dice
- 750 gm podded peas (1.5kg unpodded)
- 750 ml vegetable stock (3 cups)
- 1½ tbsp chopped mint (optional), to serve
- 1Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion and pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent (10 minutes). Add peas, cook for 1 minute, then add stock and season to taste. Increase heat to high, then simmer until peas are tender (8-10 minutes for fresh; 1-2 minutes for frozen). Add mint, season to taste and serve hot.
This recipe is from the March 2013 issue of .
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsFarmer is a new cookbook raising funds for the droughtYesterday 12:00am