The trick to a successful savarin is letting it soak in the hot syrup to make it very moist. Don't rush this process or you might be left with a dry cake. Usually some alcohol, such as rum, is added for punch, but we've omitted it and matched the cake with honey, cheese and walnuts for a modern twist. You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 125 ml (½ cup) lukewarm milk
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- ¾ tsp dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 175 gm plain unbleached flour, sifted
- 60 gm butter, softened
- To serve: roasted walnut halves
Rosemary honey syrup
- 240 gm honey
- 340 gm raw caster sugar
- 3 rosemary sprigs, leaves and small sprigs picked
Goat’s curd cream
- 50 gm (¼ cup) whipped goat’s curd (see note)
- 125 ml (½ cup) thickened cream, whisked to soft peaks
- 2 tbsp pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1Preheat oven to 170C. Combine milk, sugar and yeast in a bowl and stand at room temperature until foamy (5-10 minutes). Add eggs and whisk to combine, then transfer to an electric mixer fitted with a paddle. Add flour and a pinch of salt and mix until smooth (3-5 minutes), add butter and mix until dough is elastic and comes away from sides of bowl (5-10 minutes). Half-fill eight buttered 13cm-diameter savarin moulds (see note) with mixture (there may be a little left over). Bake until golden and puffed (30-40 minutes). Turn out onto a shallow tray, pierce a few holes in each savarin with a thin skewer and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, for rosemary honey syrup, combine ingredients and 500ml water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from heat, pour half over warm savarins and stand at room temperature, turning savarin occasionally until syrup is absorbed (6 hours-overnight). Bring remaining syrup to the boil over high heat and cook to a thick syrup consistency (20-30 minutes).
- 3For goat’s curd cream, combine ingredients in a bowl and fold to combine. Serve savarin with goat’s curd cream, extra syrup and walnuts scattered over.
Note Whipped goat's curd is available from speciality cheese stores. If unavailable, substitute goat's curd. Savarin moulds are available from The Essential Ingredient and select kitchenware stores.