Ceviche is perfect for easy summer entertaining, but it is essential to buy really fresh scallops from a reputable fishmonger. When buying scallops, look for firm, intact, lustrous flesh and shells with a fresh sea smell.
- 18 scallops (450gm), without roe, on the shell
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander stems
- 1 small ripe avocado, finely diced
- 1 small ripe mango, finely diced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- ½ small Lebanese cucumber, finely diced
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- Small coriander leaves, to serve
- 125 ml (½ cup) lime juice
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) fish stock
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped pickled jalapeños
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Crushed ice, to serve
- 1For lime dressing, combine ingredients in a non-reactive bowl and season to taste. Reserve 2 tbsp separately for serving and refrigerate.
- 2Remove scallops from shells, cut into quarters then add to bowl with lime dressing and toss gently. Set aside to marinate (15 minutes).
- 3Wash and dry scallop shells.
- 4To make the salsa, stir coriander stems, avocado, mango, shallot, cucumber and chilli in a bowl with reserved lime dressing to combine. Drain scallops and gently stir into salsa. Season to taste and divide among shells set on a platter of crushed ice. Scatter with coriander leaves to serve.