Scallops are amazing served raw - be sure to trim the muscle from the side, then use a very sharp knife to slice them horizontally into rounds.
- 400 gm sushi rice, rinsed (2 cups)
- 2 tsp roasted sesame seeds
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 16 sashimi-quality scallops, trimmed and thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut into julienne
- ¼ small daikon, cut into julienne
- Furikake (see note) and thinly sliced spring onion, to serve
Pickled ginger dressing
- 20 gm pickled ginger, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1Bring rice, 500ml water and 1 tsp sea salt to a simmer in a saucepan, then reduce heat to low, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook without uncovering for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stand covered for 10 minutes. Add sesame seeds, oil and vinegar and stir to combine.
- 2Meanwhile, for pickled ginger dressing, shake ingredients in a jar to combine and season to taste.
- 3Divide warm rice among serving bowls, top with scallops, avocado, cucumber and daikon, drizzle with pickled ginger dressing to taste and serve scattered with furikake and spring onion.
Furikake, a Japanese rice seasoning, is available from Japanese grocers.
Drink Suggestion: Fine, fruity junmai daiginjo Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am