- 36 thin baguette slices (about baguette), thinly sliced
- For brushing: olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 300 gm scallop meat, very thinly sliced
- 20 gm salted capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced coriander
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- To serve: Tabasco and coriander cress
Sea urchin mayo
- 70 gm sea urchin roe (see note)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 150 ml mild-flavoured olive oil
- 1For sea urchin mayo, blend roe and lemon juice in a small food processor until combined, then with motor running add olive oil in a thin steady stream until emulsified and a thick mayonnaise forms. Season to taste and set aside.
- 2Preheat a grill to high. Brush baguette slices with olive oil and grill until toasted (1-2 minutes each side), then rub with cut garlic.
- 3Mix scallop meat, capers and coriander in a bowl, then drizzle with olive oil and season to taste with ground pepper and Tabasco.
- 4Spoon a little sea urchin mayo onto each toast, then top with scallop mixture and coriander cress and serve.
Note Sea urchin roe is available from select fishmongers. You may need to order it ahead.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersHow to make fresh pasta (it's easier than you think)Yesterday 3:00am