Scampi always feels a little luxurious – here, we've served them simply in lettuce cups with a fresh green-mango salad.
- 12 scampi (about 1kg), peeled and deveined (see note)
- 12 baby cos leaves, to serve
- Mint and coriander, to serve
- 200 ml vegetable oil
- 4 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1 tbsp finely grated light palm sugar
- 2 long red chillies, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 green mangoes, shredded
- 1For shallots, heat oil in a small saucepan to 120°C. Add shallot and deep-fry, stirring occasionally, until golden (1-2 minutes; be careful, hot oil will spit). Remove shallots with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Reserve oil.
- 2For salad, combine lime juice, sugar, chillies and fish sauce to taste in a bowl and stir until sugar dissolves. Stir through mango just before serving.
- 3Preheat a barbecue to high. Thread scampi tails lengthways onto bamboo skewers and brush lightly with shallot oil, then grill, turning occasionally, until charred and almost cooked though (2-4 minutes).
- 4To serve, top lettuce leaves with salad, scampi, fried shallots and herbs.
Scampi are available from select fishmongers.