Despite its high water content, iceberg is excellent char-grilled - just be sure the grill is very hot so the edges of the lettuce curl and scorch, which imparts a beautiful complexity. We love this served alongside grilled or steamed fish or prawns.
- 1 iceberg lettuce, outer leaves removed, cut into 8 wedges
- 6 spring onions, trimmed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
Black vinegar dressing
- 60 ml (¼ cup) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Chinkiang vinegar (see note)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 20 gm ginger, peeled and cut into julienne
- 2 tsp roasted chilli paste
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- To taste: lemon juice
- 1For black vinegar dressing, shake ingredients in a jar, season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
- 2Heat a char-grill pan or barbecue to high. Place lettuce wedges and spring onions on a tray, drizzle with oil and turn to coat. Grill lettuce, turning once, until edges char (1-2 minutes each side), then set aside. Grill spring onions, turning occasionally, until charred and wilted (2-3 minutes). Set aside.
- 3Coarsely chop lettuce and spring onions and combine in a bowl with a little black vinegar dressing, toss to combine and serve with extra black vinegar dressing.
Note Chinkiang vinegar, a fragrant black vinegar, is available from Asian grocers.
Drink Suggestion: Tangy dry chenin blanc. Drink suggestion by Max Allen