- 300 gm short-grain rice
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 500 gm mixed cherry tomatoes
- Julienned rind and juice of 1½ lemons
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 150 gm cooked blue swimmer crab meat
- 2 baby fennel bulbs, shaved on a mandolin, fronds coarsely chopped
- ½ cup coarsely torn mint
- 1Cook rice in boiling salted water until just tender (10-12 minutes), drain, rinse under cold water, drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- 2Heat oil in a saucepan over high heat, add tomatoes and lemon rind, cover and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until tomatoes are tender and slightly scorched (4-5 minutes). Add garlic and fennel seeds, cook until fragrant (1-2 minutes), remove from heat, add lemon juice and vinegar and season to taste. Pour onto rice, toss to combine and cool to room temperature. Stir in crab, fennel, fennel fronds and mint, and serve at room temperature, or refrigerate and serve chilled.
This recipe is from the March 2013 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Dry white Soave. Drink suggestion by Max Allen