This recipe is ideal when you are at a weekender without a barbecue or oven.
- 1 (about 2kg) beef fillet, trimmed and tied if necessary
- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 2-3 heads large garlic, cloves peeled
- 5-6 fresh bay leaves
- 1Season fillet generously all over with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and place in a large heavy-based cast iron casserole or heavy sauté pan large enough to accommodate the meat. Drizzle with oil, add bay leaves and garlic, cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
- 2Discard bay leaves. Place pan over medium-high heat and cook, turning beef regularly, until garlic is caramelised and tender. Remove garlic with a slotted spoon and set aside. Continue cooking meat for 15-20 minutes or until browned and cooked to your liking. Return garlic to pan, cover loosely with foil and remove from heat. Rest beef for at least 30 minutes. To serve, slice beef thinly and arrange on a platter with caramelised garlic and cavolo nero.
Note Shown above with cavolo nero.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCasarecce with pork sausage, cavolo nero and chilliYesterday 6:00am