- 250 gm butter, melted
- 375 gm kataifi pastry (see note)
- To serve: vanilla bean ice-cream
- 800 ml milk
- Scraped seeds of ½ vanilla bean
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 eggs
- 110 gm caster sugar (½ cup)
- 100 gm fine semolina
- 30 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 375 ml dessert wine, such as botrytis
- 230 gm caster sugar
- 1 tsp orange-blossom water
- 150 gm each semi-dried wild figs and small dried Turkish apricots (see note)
- 1For semolina custard, bring milk and vanilla seeds to the boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk yolks, eggs and sugar in a heatproof bowl until pale, add milk mixture, whisk to combine, then return to pan. Gradually whisk in semolina and butter, whisk continuously over medium heat until very thick (5-10 minutes), then divide among six 9cm-diameter ramekins lined with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm (2 hours). Turn out onto a tray lined with baking paper and refrigerate until required.
- 2For wild figs and Turkish apricots in syrup, combine wine and sugar in a saucepan over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Bring to the boil, add orange-blossom water and fruit and simmer over low heat until fruit is plump (10-15 minutes). Keep warm.
- 3Preheat oven to 170C. Place butter in a bowl and dip kataifi in butter to coat thoroughly. Place six 11cm-diameter ring moulds on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Divide half the kataifi among moulds, top with semolina rounds, then finish with remaining kataifi, tucking in edges. Bake until bases are golden (10-15 minutes), then carefully turn over and bake until bases are golden (10-15 minutes). Serve warm with fruit in syrup, with a scoop of vanilla bean ice-cream.
Note Kataifi, a shredded pastry, is available from select delicatessens. Semi-dried wild figs and dried Turkish apricots are available from select delicatessens and Pariya. This recipe is from the May 2012 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.
Drink Suggestion: Plush late-harvest viognier. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am