These breadsticks would be great served with cured meats and a wedge of aged cheese.
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp dried yeast
- 185 gm (1¼ cups) plain flour
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg yolk, whisked with 1 tsp water
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds and 1 tbsp sea salt flakes
- 1Combine sugar, yeast and 125ml lukewarm water in a bowl, then set aside until mixture bubbles (5 minutes). Add flour, oil and ½ tsp fine sea salt and mix to combine, then turn out onto a work surface and knead to a smooth dough, dusting with a little extra flour if dough is too sticky. Transfer to a bowl, cover and set aside to prove until doubled in size (1 hour).
- 2Preheat oven to 170C. Divide dough in half, then roll each to a 26cm-long, 5mm-thick rectangle. Cut into 5mm-thick strips and transfer to 2 oven trays lined with baking paper. Brush with egg yolk and scatter liberally with sesame seeds and sea salt to season. Set aside to prove (10 minutes), then bake until puffed and golden (15-18 minutes). Set aside to cool. Bread sticks are best eaten the day they are made.