- 2 tbsp ghee
- 25 gm flaked almonds (1/3 cup)
- 75 gm sevian, broken into 5cm lengths (see note)
- 625 ml milk (2½ cups)
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 30 gm jaggery, finely chopped (see note)
- 2 tsp rosewater
- 4 fresh dates, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- To serve: flaked almonds, toasted
- To serve: rose petals (optional)
- 1Heat ghee in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, add almonds and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until just golden. Add sevian and cook for
2-3 minutes, stirring until just golden. Add milk and bring to a simmer, then add cardamom and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2Add jaggery and rosewater and cook for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Divide among bowls, scatter with dates, almonds and rose petals and serve immediately or leave to cool and serve at room temperature.
Sevian is available from Indian grocery stores. If unavailable substitute with the finest Italian vermicelli you can find, such as angel hair. Jaggery is an unrefined sugar typically made from sugarcane sap or date palm sap. It’s traditionally used in sweet and savoury dishes in India and Sri Lanka and is available from Indian or Asian grocery stores.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm