- 320 gm Brussels sprouts (about 15), trimmed, outer leaves discarded
- 60 ml (1/3 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 80 gm walnuts
- 1 witlof, thinly sliced widthways
- 1 ripe Williams pear, very thinly sliced
- 1 golden shallot, shaved on a mandolin
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, torn
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 100 gm Gorgonzola cremificato (see note), at room temperature
- 1Thinly shave Brussels sprouts on a mandolin into a bowl of iced water to crisp (5 minutes), then drain and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat until hot, add walnuts and stir until just golden (2-3 minutes), pour into a cold heatproof bowl, set aside to cool, then coarsely chop.
- 3Combine Brussels sprouts, witlof, pear, shallot and parsley in a bowl, add lemon juice and season to taste. Pour walnuts and oil over salad, add Gorgonzola, toss to combine, then transfer to a platter and serve.
Note Gorgonzola cremificato is available from Italian Food and other select Italian delicatessens; if it's unavailable, substitute Gorgonzola dolcelatte or another very soft blue-vein cheese. This recipe is from the May 2013 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.
Drink Suggestion: Red sparkling lambrusco. Drink suggestion by Max Allen