Spiked with lime and gin, this is like a grown-up slushie. Add a little of the syrup to serve, then hand around extra for your guests to top up as they wish.
- To serve: shaved or crushed ice, lime wedges and gin
Cherry, gin and lime syrup
- 440 gm (2 cups) caster sugar
- 250 gm pitted cherries (about 280gm unpitted)
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- Juice of 3 limes
- 40 ml gin
- 1For cherry, gin and lime syrup, stir sugar, cherries, vanilla and 300ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to a simmer and simmer until cherries soften and liquid reduces to a syrup (12-15 minutes). Strain through a fine sieve, stir in lime juice and gin and refrigerate until chilled completely. Serve poured over shaved ice in chilled glasses, cups or bowls, with lime wedges and extra gin.