- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1.6 kg boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 35 gm (¼ cup) plain flour
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 60 ml (¼ cup) Worcestershire sauce
- 600 gm floury potatoes
- 200 ml milk
- 40 gm butter, diced
- 1Preheat oven to 150C. Heat oil in a flameproof casserole over low-medium heat, add onion and cook gently until very tender (8-10 minutes). Add lamb, increase heat to high and brown all over. Add carrot, flour, anchovies and Worcestershire sauce, and cook, stirring occasionally, to cook out the taste of the flour (3-4 minutes). Add and 500ml water, then cover and bake until lamb is tender (3-3¼ hours).
- 2Cover potatoes with plenty of cold salted water in a saucepan, bring to the boil over medium-high heat and cook until tender (15-20 minutes). Drain, cool for 5 minutes, then peel and press through a potato ricer or a sieve. Heat milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add potato and butter and stir continuously over low heat until smooth. Season to taste.
- 3Using a slotted spoon, remove lamb from braising liquid and, using 2 forks, coarsely shred, then return to sauce and adjust seasoning. Spoon lamb mixture into a large baking dish and top with mashed potato. Increase oven to 180C and bake pie until potato is golden (15-20 minutes) and serve hot.
Drink Suggestion: McLaren Vale grenache. Drink suggestion by Max Allen