- 600 gm lamb ribs (see note)
- 3 tsp Sichuan peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tbsp Chinkiang vinegar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 spring onions, julienned, to serve
- To serve: steamed rice (optional)
- 8 baby cucumbers, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1Cut lamb ribs so they fit in a large steamer and steam over a saucepan of simmering water until tender (45-60 minutes), topping up water if necessary. Cool slightly, then cut into individual or double ribs.
- 2Meanwhile, coarsely grind spices with a mortar and pestle, add ½ tsp sea salt flakes and crush to combine. Set aside.
- 3For salted cucumber, toss cucumber and salt in a bowl until cucumber is well coated and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- 4Heat oil in a wok until smoking, add ribs and cook until golden (2-3 minutes). Add spices and toss to combine until fragrant, then add vinegar, soy and sugar and toss to coat ribs well (1 minute). Serve hot with salted cucumber and rice and top with spring onion.
Note Lamb ribs need to be ordered ahead from the butcher. Ask for a whole trimmed lamb breast.
Drink Suggestion: Red rice sake. Drink suggestion by Max Allen