A light salad is just the thing alongside hearty, smoky barbecued meats, and what better way to present summer's tomatoes, than in a simple salad.
- ½ Tuscan red onion or 2 red shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 heirloom oxheart tomatoes, sliced
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 400 gm mixed baby tomatoes, such as Kumato, yellow cherry and red cherry
- 1 cup purple or green basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp vincotto
- 3 tsp cabernet vinegar
- 1Combine onion (or shallot) in a bowl with enough iced water to cover, stand for 10 minutes, then drain.
- 2Arrange tomato slices on a platter, top with mixed tomatoes, onion and basil, and season to taste.
- 3For dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl to combine, drizzle over salad and serve.
This recipe is from the January 2012 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Pale, dry pinot noir rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen