- 500 gm bintje potatoes, scrubbed (about 4)
- 6 free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 150 gm smoked fish, such as trout, herring or mackerel, coarsely flaked
- To serve: thinly sliced, seeded rye bread, toasted
- 50 gm salmon roe (¼ cup)
- 100 gm sour cream
- 1 tbsp malt vinegar
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 3 tsp raw caster sugar
- 1Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold, salted water, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until tender (about 10-15 minutes). Drain, cool slightly, then peel and thickly slice widthways.
- 2Meanwhile, bring another saucepan of water to the boil, add eggs and cook for 4 minutes. Remove and cool under cold running water, then peel and set aside.
- 3For salad cream, combine ingredients in a small bowl and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 4Add smoked fish to potato and season to taste. Top rye bread with smoked fish mixture, then drizzle with salad cream. Halve soft-boiled eggs, arrange on fish mixture, spoon over salmon roe and serve.
Drink Suggestion: A shot of chilled vodka. Drink suggestion by Max Allen