Smoked mackerel smashed into a chunky pâté with crème fraîche makes a quick, light Nordic-style breakfast. We've served ours on rye crackers - try toasted rye bread for something hot and hearty.
- 170 gm hot-smoked mackerel or trout, skin and bones discarded, flesh flaked
- 70 gm crème fraîche
- 6 rye crackers, to serve
- Finely grated horseradish, to taste
- 50 gm mung bean sprouts (½ cup)
- 2 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp roasted pepitas
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 small beetroot (about 100gm), trimmed and thinly shaved on a mandolin
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Lemon juice, to taste
- 1For beetroot salad, dry-roast caraway seeds (1 minute), then grind with a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a bowl, add beetroot and shallot, drizzle with olive oil, season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice, and toss to combine.
- 2In a bowl, mix smoked mackerel and crème fraîche with a fork to combine and season to taste.
- 3Top each cracker with mackerel mixture and beetroot salad, scatter with horseradish, sprouts and toasted seeds, and serve.