"This salad is a great base for any seafood - seared southern calamari, sashimi-grade trevally, tuna or kingfish," says Hugh Wennerbom. "We've used smoked rainbow trout not only because it's delicious, but because it has a good shelf life and can be bought well ahead of the crazy Christmas crush at the fish markets."
- 2 hot-smoked rainbow trout (500gm each)
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers
- 3 baby fennel bulbs, shaved on a mandolin
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (firmly packed) each mint and dill
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tbsp baby capers
- 2 tsp aniseed liqueur, such as Pernod or Ricard
- 90 gm salmon roe
- To serve: crusty bread (optional)
- 1Remove skin from trout and coarsely flake, taking care to remove all bones, then set aside in a bowl.
- 2Halve cucumbers lengthways, scrape out seeds with a spoon, then thinly slice lengthways on a mandolin. Toss in a bowl with fennel, oil, spring onion, herbs, lemon juice and capers. Add flaked trout and a splash of liqueur, season to taste, toss to combine, top with salmon roe, and serve with the best bread you can find.