- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 Dutch carrots (about 1 bunch), scrubbed
- 6 spring onions, trimmed
- 6 smoked rainbow trout fillets (180gm each), skin on, pin-boned
- ½ cup (loosely packed) dill sprigs
- 1 small Spanish onion (optional), thinly sliced into rings
- 50 ml rice wine vinegar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 150 gm butter, melted
- Juice and finely grated rind of ½ lemon
- 1Heat 3 tsp oil in a large frying pan over high heat, add carrots and cook, turning occasionally, until just tender (2-3 minutes). Set aside.
- 2Brush spring onions with 1 tsp oil, season to taste, place on a wire rack over a gas flame and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly charred (2-3 minutes; see note). Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and steam until tender (2-3 minutes), then coarsely chop and set aside.
- 3Heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, add trout in batches skin-side down and cook until skin is golden (40 seconds-1 minute), then turn and cook until warmed through (10 seconds). Transfer to a tray and keep warm.
- 4For butter sauce, whisk vinegar, yolks, honey and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until starting to thicken (2 minutes; 70C on a thermometer), season to taste, then gradually add melted butter in a thin steady stream, whisking to emulsify. Add lemon juice and rind, season to taste and keep warm.
- 5To serve, top spring onion with trout and carrots, spoon butter sauce over and scatter with dill and Spanish onion.
If you don’t have a gas burner, preheat grill to high heat and grill spring onions, turning occasionally, until lightly charred (2-3 minutes).
This recipe is from the August 2012 issue of
Drink Suggestion: Savaterre chardonnay. Drink suggestion by Shannon Debreceny & Jeff Bennett
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm