Spiced barbecued chicken makes an excellent filling for soft tacos, and here the barbecue does triple duty by cooking the corn and tortillas, too.
- 100 ml (¼ cup) olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 tsp ground pasilla chilli (see note)
- 1 tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 10 skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into large pieces
- 3 corn cobs
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, such as oxheart, coarsely chopped
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 avocados, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 50 ml olive oil
- ½ cup coarsely chopped coriander
- 1Combine 60ml oil, juice of 1 lime, spices and garlic in a bowl and season to taste. Add chicken, stir to coat and refrigerate to marinate while you cook the corn and make the crushed avocado.
- 2Heat a barbecue to medium-high heat. Drizzle corn with oil and barbecue, turning occasionally, until tender and slightly scorched (10-12 minutes). When cool enough to handle, cut kernels from cobs, transfer to a bowl and set aside. Just before serving, add tomato and remaining olive oil and lime juice, seaston to taste, toss to combine and top with coriander.
- 3Meanwhile, for crushed avocado, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and refrigerate until required.
- 4Warm tortillas on the barbecue, turning once (1 minute each side), then wrap in a tea towel and set aside to steam. Thread chicken pieces onto skewers and barbecue, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through (6-8 minutes). Serve with tortillas, corn salad, crushed avocado and lime wedges.
Note Pasilla chillies are dried Mexican chillies with a deep smoky flavour and are available from Herbie's Spices. If it's unavailable, substitute smoked paprika.
Drink Suggestion: A cold Mexican lager. Drink suggestion by Max Allen