- 400 gm wholemeal flour (1 2/3 cups)
- 50 gm plain flour, plus extra for dusting (1/3 cup)
- 1 tbsp muscovado sugar
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250 ml buttermilk (1 cup)
Herb and lemon butter
- 250 gm softened butter
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (firmly packed)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Combine flours, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, and 1 tbsp sea salt in a large bowl, stir to combine and form a well in the centre, add buttermilk and 150ml water and gradually incorporate flour mixture with your hands to form a wet dough. Turn onto a floured surface, shape into a rough 22cm round, score a cross on top, scatter with flour, place on a lightly floured baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce oven to 180C and bake until bread is cooked through and sounds hollow when tapped (15-20 minutes). Cool on a wire rack. Soda bread will keep in an airtight container for 2 days.
- 2Meanwhile, for herb and lemon butter, combine ingredients in a bowl, beat well, shape into a pat, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm but spreadable.
- 3Serve soda bread with herb and lemon butter to the side.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am