- 400 gm dried spaghettini
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced lengthways
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 300 gm vongole, soaked in cold water to remove sand, drained
- 80 ml dry white wine
- 1/3 cup each of coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves and oregano leaves
- 80 gm day-old crustless sourdough bread, coarsely torn
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 small red chillies, coarsely chopped
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 2 lemons, finely grated rind only
- 1For chilli breadcrumbs, using a food processor process bread, garlic and chilli until coarse crumbs form and set aside. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add crumb mixture to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp (4-5 minutes), remove from heat and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir through lemon rind and set aside.
- 2Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (5-6 minutes), drain and keep warm.
- 3Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and cook until soft (4-5 minutes). Add vongole and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, add wine and season to taste. Cover and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until vongole open (1-2 minutes). Remove from heat, add drained pasta and herbs, season to taste, toss to combine and serve immediately with chilli breadcrumbs.