This nicely textured salad transports well, making it ideal for picnics or to take to barbecues. The broccoli can be kept raw and shaved on a mandolin, too.
- 200 gm spelt, rinsed, drained (see note)
- 2 heads broccoli, thickly sliced into florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50 gm roasted cashew nuts, coarsely chopped
- ½ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup (firmly packed) mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup (firmly packed) coriander, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, or to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
- ½ cup (firmly packed) mint leaves
- ½ cup (firmly packed) coriander
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 200 gm natural yoghurt
- 1Cook spelt in a large saucepan of boiling unsalted water until tender (15-20 minutes). Drain well and cool briefly.
- 2Heat a char-grill, brush broccoli with oil and grill until charred (3-5 minutes). Transfer to a bowl and add spelt, cashew nuts, onion and herbs. Squeeze lemon juice over the broccoli mixture to taste, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and season to taste.
- 3For yoghurt dressing, process herbs, garlic and half the yoghurt in a blender until smooth, then stir in remaining yoghurt. Season to taste.
- 4To serve, divide salad among bowls and top with yoghurt dressing.
Spelt is available from health-food shops. If it’s unavailable, substitute farro or brown rice.