- 400 ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp each smoked sweet paprika, ground coriander and ground cumin
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Finely grated rind of 1 lime
- 1 kg chicken wings, jointed
Roast garlic and chipotle salsa
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, halved
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into wedges
- 2 chipotle chillies in adobo (see note)
- To serve: juice of 1 lime, or to taste, plus wedges
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 1Whisk buttermilk, spices, oil and lime rind in a bowl, season to taste, add wings, stir to coat and transfer to a non-reactive container. Cover and refrigerate overnight to marinate.
- 2For roast garlic and chipotle salsa, preheat oven to 180C. Wrap garlic in foil, roast until tender (40-50 minutes), cool slightly, squeeze flesh from skin and set aside. Meanwhile, place tomatoes cut-side down on an oven tray lined with baking paper, add onion, drizzle with oil, season to taste and roast until tender (35-45 minutes). Cool, peel tomatoes, process in a food processor with remaining ingredients to a thick sauce, season to taste and set aside.
- 3Preheat a barbecue or char-grill to medium-high. Drain wings and grill, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through (8-10 minutes). Season to taste and serve hot with salsa and lime wedges.
Note You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead. Chipotle chillies in adobo are available from select delicatessens including Monterey Mexican Foods. Drink suggestion by Max Allen