- 120 gm each rolled oats, spelt flakes, triticale and rye flakes (see note) (1 cup)
- 130 gm almonds, coarsely chopped
- 60 gm puffed spelt (½ cup)
- 60 gm puffed millet (½ cup)
- 30 gm sesame seeds
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 250 ml maple syrup (1 cup)
- 60 ml rice syrup (¼ cup)
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 pineapple, quartered lengthways, core removed, sliced into 3cm pieces
- 2 bananas, thinly sliced
- Pulp of 3 passionfruit
- To serve: chilled Jersey milk (see note) and thick yoghurt
- 1Combine oats, spelt flakes, triticale, rye flakes, almonds, puffed grains, sesame seeds and spices in a large bowl and set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Warm maple syrup and rice syrup in a saucepan over low heat, add oil, pour over oat mixture and stir to coat. Spread on oven trays lined with baking paper and bake, stirring occasionally, until crisp and golden (15-20 minutes). Cool on trays. Granola will keep in an airtight container for 2 weeks.
- 3To serve, combine pineapple, banana and passionfruit in a bowl, toss gently to combine and serve with spiced five-grain granola, Jersey milk and thick yoghurt.
Note Spelt flakes, triticale and rye flakes are all available from select health-food shops. If they're unavailable, substitute extra rolled oats. Jersey milk has a high fat content. It's available from select farmers' markets and delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: Pot of Earl Grey tea. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsWhere to eat, sleep and visit in Melbourne right nowYesterday 8:00pm