- 1.2 kg chat potatoes, unpeeled, halved
- 2 tsp saffron threads
- 50 ml olive oil, plus extra for shallow-frying
- 2 tsp each cumin seeds and coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 long green chillies, thinly sliced
- 120 gm thick plain yoghurt
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
- 3 golden shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- 3 fresh curry leaf sprigs
- 1Combine potato, saffron, 2 litres cold water and 2 tsp sea salt in a large saucepan, bring to the boil over medium-high heat and cook until potato is tender when pierced with a skewer or sharp knife (15-20 minutes), then drain and set aside in a large bowl to cool.
- 2Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add cumin and coriander seeds and cook until fragrant (1 minute). Add ginger, garlic and half the chilli and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from heat, cool to room temperature, then transfer to a small bowl and whisk in yoghurt and lemon rind and juice. Season to taste, add to potato mixture, toss to coat and set aside.
- 3Heat 2cm-3cm oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add shallot and shallow-fry, stirring frequently, until crisp and golden, adding curry leaves and remaining chilli in the last minute of cooking (2-3 minutes). Drain in a metal sieve, discarding oil, then scatter shallots and curry leaves over potato mixture and serve.